Friday, October 15, 2010

More Political-type Ramblings

So, some of you may be shocked to hear that I currently support Obamacare. Why? Because it's better than what I have -- namely, NOTHING. Is it possible that Obama could have come up with a better way to give more Americans healthcare? Maybe. Perhaps overhauling the Medicare/Medicaid systems and reducing fraud would have brought more money available to make the programs available to more people.

As it is, it's rather infuriating that my current only option is "Hope that if you have to call in, you're calling in dead, because you can't afford to be sick."

I live in northwest Georgia, where there are hundreds of laid-off folks looking for jobs, and nobody's hiring. I'm lucky to have a job I genuinely enjoy, despite the fact that the hours suck. My paycheck pays my student loans, with very little extra, so I go to donate plasma twice a week for an extra $60 per week. That pays my car insurance and gas, and I'm lucky enough to have parents who are willing to let me live at home rent-free.

So for me, the $40 to go to the local walk-in clinic if I get sick is way out of my price range. Thankfully my daily medications are all on the Cheap-Ass Generics list, but services aren't easy to get. I've had psychiatrist appointments re-re-rescheduled to where it was six months before I got to see the doctor again, but you can't complain too much when it's free. Planned Parenthood isn't exactly cheap either, but part of that is because they've had their government funding reduced and so they have to charge people more.

Anyway, this is heading into wall-'o-text, so I'm out for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment